February 26, 2014 – Palo Alto Networks® (NYSE: PANW), the leader in enterprise security, and VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW) have extended the companies’ strategic partnership with the announcement of a new reseller agreement and the general availability of a previously announced integrated network security and network virtualisation solution. The integrated Palo Alto Networks and VMware solution lets customers use the distributed network and services insertion capabilities of VMware NSX™ with the Palo Alto Networks next-generation security technologies to easily deploy, scale, safely enable and protect applications for software-defined data centres. As a result, customers can realise more agility and efficiency through centralised policy management and implementation.
The solution includes the Palo Alto Networks VM-1000-HV (a new VM-Series model designed for VMware NSX interoperability), security subscription, the Panorama centralised management platform and premium customer support combined with the VMware NSX network virtualisation platform. Today, the security components are available from Palo Alto Networks resellers and the VMware NSX network virtualisation platform is available from VMware. Beginning in the second quarter of 2014, customers will be able to purchase the complete bundled solution as a packaged offering directly from VMware and VMware Elite NSX partners.
To simplify deployment, Palo Alto Networks and VMware have published a validated technical reference design with key implementation use cases.
* “Palo Alto Networks and VMware have been longtime strategic partners in helping us realise the possibilities of the software-defined data centre, enabling applications that support our dynamic retail business while protecting it from cyber threats. The joint Palo Alto Networks and VMware network security and network virtualisation solution enables rapid provisioning of next-generation network security with our applications and a ‘single pane of glass’ management interface for all our security policies across our nearly 100 per cent virtualised data centre environment.”
o John Spiegel, Manager, IS Communications, Columbia Sportswear
* “This resell agreement and general availability of our joint solution represents a key milestone in our strategic partnership with VMware; it builds upon the extensive co-development efforts we have jointly invested to help customers realise a truly seamless and agile software-defined data centre with built-in security protections and helps make it easy to procure the necessary components.”
o Chad Kinzelberg, Senior Vice President of Business and Corporate Development, Palo Alto Networks
* “For network security teams working in dynamic cloud data centres, using tried and true network security processes and physical appliances represents a major challenge. Working with our strategic partner Palo Alto Networks, we’re advancing and simplifying security in the software-defined data centre. Our joint efforts to deliver a comprehensive and integrated solution will help ensure that the agility and speed benefits of network virtualisation are extended to security infrastructure.”
o Stephen Mullaney, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Networking & Security Business Unit, VMware
An integrated solution for today’s changing security environment
Recognising changing security requirements for global enterprises, Palo Alto Networks and VMware have partnered to deliver an integrated solution that combines the Palo Alto Networks VM-Series virtualised next-generation security platform with the VMware NSX network virtualisation platform. With this joint solution, customers will be able to unify next-generation network security across their physical and virtual environments with a single point of management. The VMware NSX and Palo Alto Networks integrated solution helps unlock the full potential of the software-defined data centre, letting IT organisations:
* automate delivery of next-generation security services
* accelerate deployment of business critical applications through transparent security enforcement
* optimise operational efficiency via simplified security policies with virtual, cloud and business context
* reduce errors in security configuration through context sharing between virtualisation and security environments
* easily segment and safely enable virtualised applications of different trust levels in the data centre
* address simplified security and compliance mandates with protection against known and unknown threats including exploits, viruses, spyware, malware and advanced persistent threats (APTs).
About Palo Alto Networks
Palo Alto Networks is leading a new era in cybersecurity by protecting thousands of enterprise, government, and service provider networks from cyber threats. Unlike fragmented legacy products, our security platform safely enables business operations and delivers protection based on what matters most in today’s dynamic computing environments: applications, users, and content. Find out more at www.paloaltonetworks.com.
VMware (NYSE: VMW) is the leader in virtualisation and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. Customers rely on VMware to help them transform the way they build, deliver and consume Information Technology resources in a manner that is evolutionary and based on their specific needs. With 2013 revenues of $5.21 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 75,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
Palo Alto Networks and the Palo Alto Networks logo are trademarks of Palo Alto Networks, Inc. in the United States and in jurisdictions throughout the world. All other trademarks, trade names or service marks used or mentioned herein belong to their respective owners.
VMware and VMware NSX are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.